Welcome message

Dear friends,

Welcome to my blog. I am honored to have you visit. I hope you'll find my articles a blessing. I welcome your input and especially comments and questions.

I write as a Christian from Jerusalem, Israel about Biblical subjects.

I am particularly interested in the subjects of children, families, women's issues, corporal punishment, science and nature as these subjects relate to the Holy Scriptures.

For more information, see my website: www.biblechild.com

With every good wish - Samuel Martin

Tuesday, May 22, 2012

One of the best messages one could ever get


Announcement: As of May 4, 2012, Samuel Martin's book "Thy Rod and Thy Staff, They Comfort Me: Christians and the Spanking Controversy" is now available for free - For details, download it here -  http://whynottrainachild.com/2013/06/22/download-martins-book/

One of the best messages one could ever get

 I've received some really great messages of late and wanted to share a few of them.

Some came from individuals like this one:

1. I'd like the PDF of your book. I really appreciate your work. I've seen firsthand the damage that the teachings of the Pearls and this like them can do.

Others came from individuals working in non-governmental organizations focused on child protection like these: 

 2. I would be delighted to receive your newsletter. I am currently outside the country training facilitators who will be training parents in their provinces the positive discipline programme. Both ‘spare the rod and spoil the child’ and ‘children should be seen and not heard’ both came up. I was thrilled to be able to share your work.

3. We are presently involved in amending our Children’s Act – and motivating very strongly on the issue of corporal punishment. Religious arguments are constantly used to support the retention of Corporal Punishment. We would really value your book and use it in order to continue our work.

4. Please could you forward me a copy of the abovementioned book? As a Christian myself and also being involved in child protection in my work I am sure it would be a useful tool for both myself and my staff – and keep up the good work!

Others mentioned sites working toward child betterment like the following: 
 
5. Are you aware of the online message board Gentle Christian Mothers? http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/archive/index.php It’s an excellent place to direct parents who are attempting to switch from punitive parenting to grace-based parenting.
 
Others came from mental health professionals like this one: 

6. As a counselor and therapist looking to add parenting classes to my offerings, I would love to see what your thoughts are on corporal punishment (very common in the South).

I've gotten many messages like this one over the years and spoken to many parents (mostly mothers) who echo what this message says: that is, they never felt right about spanking their child in their hearts, but were willing to do ahead and do it in the name of obedience to God.

7. I was spanked as a child and always thought that was what God wanted but THANK JESUS for the many revelations I have had recently about parenting! I just feel so genuinely excited about raising my daughter now...thinking God expected / wanted me to hit my kids to teach them right always felt wrong to me but I was prepared to do it because I really believed that to be what God wanted. I'm so grateful my eyes have been opened. And so looking forward to educating myself more on this issue. Thank you for what you do!!! You are a blessing. 

These previous messages really warmed my heart, but when people talk about finding my blog either with very small children or who are just becoming parents for the first time, these messages mean so much to me personally: 

8. I am a new mom to a beautiful baby girl and have recently found your blog! I was hoping to get a copy of your book, Thy rod and thy staff, They Comfort Me.

9. I came upon your book title, "Thy Rod and Thy Staff, They Comfort Me: Christians and the Spanking Controversy," in a blog posted by The Hippie Housewife, where she mentions you are offering your book on corporal punishment and the Bible free of charge. As my husband and I are pregnant with our first child, and discussing discipline philosophy, I was wondering if your offer is still good?

I have to admit that this last one is especially moving for me. This is what this blog is all about. Helping people have accurate information to make informed decisions in benefit of themselves and their families starting even when the children are in the womb but even not yet conceived. 

Thank you to everyone who mentioned my book through their online presence. There are so many wonderful blogs, newsletters and websites and your support and friendship has meant so much the years. Finally, I have to mention The Hippie Housewife's blog - All her posts are awesome. Here is one that touched me of late talking about how motherhood changed her view of God.

http://hippiehousewife.blogspot.com/2012/05/how-motherhood-changed-my-view-of-god.html 

Thanks to everyone who shared these messages. 



No comments: